Easter is a flurry of colour and excitement, no matter where you are in the world. Our friends at Jasons Travel have put together these recommendations if you’re in New Zealand these Easter holidays:
Avoid the long queues to the Coromandel this Easter and explore what Auckland has on offer – that’s if you can decide on which event to go to!
For the family, start the school holidays with a sweet treat, or smash your way into the long weekend with these events:
- The Royal Easter Show is always a hit for all ages with live shows, carnival rides and exhibition stalls! Meet and Greet Ben Tennyson from Ben10 or dance yourself silly with the Yo Gabba Gabba! Monsters. Check out the famous A&P show and see what the country brings to the city. Or get up close and personal in Farm World and learn how to milk a cow.
The Royal Easter Show 1-5 April 2010 at the ASB Showgrounds, 217 Green Lane West, Greenlane, Auckland.
- Smashfest 20TEN - New Zealand’s best Demolition Derby at Waikaraka Family Speedway. For the past 3 years, Smashfest has broken the world record for the most cars used in a demolition derby. Drivers can even enter the event with a grand prize of $10,000 up for grabs. With $30,000 worth of Fireworks, Pyrotechnics and Lasers used, this will surely be and explosive night.
Smashfest 20TEN 3 April 2010 7pm Waikaraka Family Speedway 243 Neilson Street, Onehunga, Auckland
Not so keen on the action? How about a chilling out in the vines:
- Waiheke Jazz & Blues in the Vines – Waiheke Island is only a 40-50mins ferry ride away to spend in ‘Island Time’ for some well-deserved R&R. My pick for the event would have to be Nairobi Trio, playing on Easter Sunday. Let the guitarist John know I sent you and say Hi! If you’re lucky, you might be able to suggest a request or two.
Waiheke Jazz & Blues in the Vines 4 & 5 Apri 1-6pm The Clubhouse, Waiheke Golf Club, Onetangi Road, Waiheke Island
- Berba Croatian Grape Harvest Celebration – Ever dreamed of stomping on grapes just like in the good old days? Celebrate the Croatian Harvest Festival with Soljans Winery and get those grapes mashed and in-between your toes! There is also traditional Croatian food, live music and free daily wine tours at 11am and 1.30pm.
Berba Harvest Festival 3-5 April 9am – 5.30pm Soljans Estate, 366 State Highway 16, Kumeu, Auckland
Prefer to dance your way into the long weekend?
- Our:House presents Nite:Life – The Experience – One of the only parties opening past midnight, Our:House features multiple themed indoor and outdoor party rooms, twilight BBQ, Chill Out area and the 42 Below Silent Disco. The line-up includes local artists such as Tim Phin, Dick Johnson and General Lee, and international DJs from Australia and the UK.
This is one event clubbing enthusiasts won’t want to miss!
Our:House 1 April 8pm – 6am Ellerslie Event Centre, 80-100 Ascot Ave, Ellerslie, Auckland